Organizations like Earthjustice make it easy to write to your Senators & Representatives. However, if you’d like to do it yourself, here are some tips:
2. WRITE CLEARLY. Use factual, well-supported information. Be personal: how does this issue affect you, & why do you care?
3. CITE LEGISLATION. If you are discussing legislation, enhance your credibility & add clarity by stating the bill. To identify the number of a bill, use this website.
4. USE CORRECT ETIQUETTE. Manners matter.
Senators: The Honorable (Full Name) Representatives: The Honorable (Full Name)
Senate Office Building # House Office Building #
United States Senate United States House of Representatives
Washington D.C. 20510 Washington D.C. 20515
Dear Senator (Last Name), Dear Representative (Last Name),
5. ANONYMOUS LETTERS WILL NOT GET RESPONSE. State who you are – at the minimum, your name & address. This allows members of Congress to identify their constituents and address concerns.
6. CALL THEM. Call your congressional district office or the White House.
White House: (202) 456-1111
U.S. Congress: (202) 224-3121